Thursday, May 01, 2008

Happy May Day!

So here it is May first. And for whatever reason it is, and I honestly don't know the reason, I had a basket ot flowers on my classroom door this morning when I got here. They were made of paper in a basket that was made out of yard glued around a balloon until it dried and then the balloon was popped leaving a basket shape. I knew who they were from because I had seen them in the elementary classrooms earlier. I just didn't know I was going to be voted on by the students to receive one. That was pretty cool.

Then later on, I was working with a student and there came a knock at the door and one of my other students was at the door and he had made little May Day basket as well. His had a fake flower in it with green paper shredded so it looked like grass with some candy in it. Super Cute.

It was at this point that the student I was working with asked me why people give baskets for May Day. He probably didn't even word it that way because he probably didn't even know it was "May Day". The one student thought it was a distress signal or something, like "May Day!! May Day!!"

So if anyone knows the story behind the May Day basket. Please let me know. I know I could look it up but don't feel like it right now.

In other news, one of the PSAs will be done after tomorrow. So today we had a pot luck for her. I couldn't believe the spread. One lady brought noodles that she had cooked and then she chopped up several little dishes of veggies and had chicken and shredded cheese, and different dressings and mayo to make your own pasta salad. It was really good. All the stuff was. I actually got a recipe out of it for my husband's birthday this weekend. I hope it turns out as well as it did for her.

No comments: