Thursday, May 08, 2008

Side note

While I am on my environmental kick, I would like to comment on a story that I saw on the news about how the Prius is a "bad" car because it is quiet.

Now I (generally) don't mean to be difficult, but the kid in the news story, should have been paying attention before he darted out into the street on his bike. Just because you can't hear a car, doesn't mean there isn't a car.

The reporter from the story spoke with the President for the National Federation of the Blind in MN and she was talking about how people who are blind rely on sounds to help them, especially in nature. She is also in favor of laws that would require cars like the Prius to emit some kind of noise when it is running on it's battery.

While, that seems like a great idea for when (and if) it happens, here's something that can be done now. If you drive a car, whether or not it is a hybrid, you should be aware of your surroundings. (I don't know how some people get a license without that skill.) And never assume that the people (especially kids) that you see out walking, running, biking, whatever, know not to dash out in front of your car.

Personally, I would like to own a Prius. But I would not like to acquire a hearing loss in favor of saving gas money.

No comments: