Monday, May 12, 2008

Lighter Side

So, I can remember my husband saying something about, "oh, why don't you just complain about me in your blog?" over something that he did and I remarked, "Really, I don't get around to venting about you much anymore." So I thought I would do as my husband requested and vent about him, but I couldn't remember what it was I was going to say...that was until I read Amanda's blog entry about Mother's Day...then I remembered.

So yesterday morning was this barrage of phone calls and text messages to wish me a Happy Mother's Day. One call was a combined call of my Mom, Dad, and Grandma. One call was my sister. And one text message was from my BFF. Now that was a lot of calls to get on a Sunday morning for me. No one ever calls. So when the phone rang again, and it was my husband, I was expecting a Happy Mother's Day wish, but have this tendency to forget that I am not his mother and therefore this holiday doesn't pertain to me from him...or so he says... He knows that if he ignored the fact that I am the mother of his son, that he would probably be taking up residence with his parents again because he surely wouldn't be staying at my house.

I think this is a learned behavior though. I remember listening to Carin talk last year about she would hear Dan say that she was not his mother, merely the mother of his children, so why did he have to do anything for her for Mother's Day. I'm a little sassier and of a different generation than she is, but I would say, if Sonny said that and meant it, "Try me. See how happy your home life is for a while."

I entitled this entry 'Lighter Side' because Sonny jokes about the fact that I am not his mother, but in the end he pulls through. Even though he did try to ask me if I was upset with him because of the fact that we had talked on the phone two times yesterday morning and he didn't once mention Hapyy Mother's Day. I think he thought asking a question with the key words in it got him off the hook...not so much... But like I said, he pulled through in the end. A gift card to the spa is always a greatly appreciated gift, especially for Mother's Day.

No comments: