Sunday, March 07, 2010

The illusion of multi-tasking

Here's something I learned in my class, about the brain, on Saturday: The Corpus Collosum (the bundle of nerves that connect the left and right hemispheres of the brain) is looser in women than in men. This is what gives women the illusion that we are able to multi-task. The example the lady gave was one of preparing dinner as a man vs. a woman.

If a man was preparing dinner and the phone rang, he would stop preparing the meal, answer the phone, take care of the call and return to dinner.

Meanwhile, if a woman was preparing a meal and the phone rang, she would answer it. But, she would tuck it between her ear and shoulder, continuing stirring, snap her fingers to get the kids to quit arguing, start emptying the dishwasher, and let the dog out, all while on the phone.

Most of us laughed at this example. But it's so true. So, I just had to share.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, i agree. women are much better at multi-tasking!

Yuna said...

I like that! Also, it makes me feel smart to know what that bundle of nerves is called, now only if I knew weather or not I was pronouncing it properly. Tee Hee.

-Michelle Lucid