Tuesday, January 22, 2008

High and Low lights from the weekend

Well, as I might have mentioned, we went to Texas for the weekend. Here's the rundown.

1. I was stressed out because I was left at the airport with Lukin and Dan (my father-in-law) and my husband was not there (because he was still at work). I wasn't going to get on the plane without him. They (he and my mother-in-law) got there as they were making the final announcement for boarding. We got on the plane, and were on there for a while (probably at least 25 minutes) before we were transferred to another plane due to mechanical issues. And Lukin would have slept on the whole flight if we had taken off right away. But since we transferred after he fell asleep, he woke up and stayed awake until we got on the next flight and then was awake the whole flight. Thanks Northwest.

2. Once in Texas, (over an hour and a half later than we expected), Sonny went to get the rental car, Dan was in the bathroom or something and so Carin and I were getting all the bags. Once we had them, we were trying to get going but pushing a stroller with one hand while pulling a suitcase in the other can be tricky and I ended up pinching my finger in the stroller and screamed right there at the airport. I still have that evidence. Carin said the blood should reabsorb within a week. In the meantime, it's gross to look at.

3. On Saturday, we got to go to Ben's Pinewood Derby races. That was pretty fun. He won 5 of his 6 races and took first in his troop and third in the contest overall. That was pretty exciting. I guess it gets us ready for the types of things there are to look forward to as Lukin gets older.

4. Saturday night was fun hanging out with the in-laws. We watched a movie and played a couple games of marbles. Then Sonny and I went back to the hotel because Wendi had to go to bed to play organ for church the next morning.

5. Sunday started well enough. Although, it should have been a small indication of how the day would go when we left the hotel and got to Wendi's house before I remembered that I forgot my winter coat in the hotel closet. We were able to go back and retrieve it, but it should have been an indication.

6. We did get seats on the flight to go home that we wanted to be on. However, they were three seats that weren't together. Thankfully, two of the seats were aisles diagnal from each other. That's not the most ideal situation but better than being several rows apart in the middle. Well, the thing about flying standby is that you are not supposed to ask if people want to switch seats. However, if they offer, you can take them up on it. So my husband gets to his seat carrying Lukin, and this man and his son are sitting next to him, I drop my stuff off at my seat and stand in the aisle to hold him while Sonny gets buckled in. The man beside him turns around and asks (probably his mother) if she would switch with Sonny and she refuses because she likes the empty seat beside her. Bitch. I told Sonny later than we should have said that was Lukin's seat since he was his seat was actually in the middle of a row without us (but in a different row). The lady next to her (in the window seat) thanked her. Another bitch. So we had to play back and forth bingo with Lukin the whole flight. Needless to say, I was steamed by the lady next to me, across the aisle for having this empty seat next to her. Bitch.

7. Thankfully, the flight went quickly (2 hours and 10 minutes) and we managed to keep Lukin fairly entertained. Then when we landed there was another plane at our gate so we had to change gates and by the time we got off, and they finally brought our stroller, it was boarding time for the flight to GF. So we run and quick use the bathroom, but then get on the plane. Thankfully, we were together on that flight.

8. Once we got to GF, we contacted home to let them know we had landed and to give them an idea about how much longer it would be. But that was pointless because our bags weren't on the flight. So we waited because the next flight was arriving another 20 to 30 minutes later. We waited for that flight assuming that our bags would be on that flight. They weren't. So there we were in GF, in sub-zero weather with lower wind chills, with no coats, no bags, and no car seat. What we did have was a diaper bag, a stroller and a rental car. We were at a loss as to what to do, but finally after a mini-breakdown in the car on my behalf, Greg called and was home and said we could stay at his place overnight until our things (hopefully) came in the morning. So, we ran to Wal-Mart quick so I could get a few necessities: diapers, wipes, bananas for breakfast, toothbrushes, toothpaste, saline, and milk for Lukin.

9. We got to Greg's sometime around 1:00 am. Lukin was tired, you could tell, but he was awake enough to scope things our at 'Uncle Greg's' before bedtime. Lukin and I slept on a daybed because that way there was a boundary on both sides of him. The only bad thing about sleeping with him is that he has to snuggle up right next to you, so I was practically hanging off the bed. Oh, there are two bad things because he doesn't like covers and I was freezing. So I had to become like a little papoose so I had covers even though he didn't want any. And I had to keep sliding him over so I could scoot back on the bed.

10. The next day, our bags did come but my parents had arrived before we all (I) had a chance to get ready. Sonny was showered, Lukin was getting ready but I hadn't had a chance yet, and my dad was ready to go to lunch. So I combed my hair and put it in a ponytail and splashed on some perfume and we were out the door to lunch (with me in the clothes I had been wearing since Sunday morning). I felt like ass but survived. After Mom, Dad, and Lukin headed north, we went back to Greg's so that I could get showered up before we had to get on our flight back.

11. By this time, I was tired of flying and very wary of the airport taking out bag. I kept my jacket this time because if they lost our bag again, at least we wouldn't be cold. But our bag did arrive, and thankfully when we got back to our car, it did start in the cold, and we went home.

I don't think I have had a weekend that I was so glad to have over in quite a while. This was most certainly one of those weekends.

No comments: