Monday, February 25, 2008

Steve Poltz live at the Nomad

So this weekend, Amanda came down to stay for the weekend. Unfortunately for me, Todd also lives in the twin cities, and she wanted to see him.

So, Todd invited Amanda (and me) to go to some live music on Saturday. At least that was the only information that I had about our Saturday night plans until Saturday night. So Todd gives us this vague address (which was the address for the Nomad, a bar in Minneapolis). We googled it and as my husband looked over my shoulder he suggested that it would probably be easier to take the train than to drive. That was fine with me. I know where to park with the train. I don't know where to park for some random bar.

Anyway, unbeknownst to either Amanda or myself, this bar happens to be near the building where that t.v. show that had Mary Tyler Moore in it was. Unfortunately, that apartment builiding that was apparently a nice apartment in the show, just happens to be the projects in Minneapolis now. That's where the train stopped, right beside the Riverside apartments. Yay. Sonny said he knew that, but didn't want to tell me because then we probably wouldn't have went.

But, knowing we were going into Minneapolis, I had Amanda text her friends and say that if someone wasn't at the train station to meet us, we were getting on the next one heading back to the MOA and we were going home. Thankfully, Jesse was at the station waiting.

As we were walking the three or so blocks to the bar, Jesse tells us that there is a $10 cover charge. I was thinking that I didn't get enough money out for the eveing and also I was thinking that I didn't think it was necessary to pay to see someone I didn't even know of. But I know we gotta pay that guy's wage so whatever.

The opening band was young and loud. I'm sure they were fine, but I couldn't understand a thing they were singing. I wanted them to stop playing the guitars and sing so I could hear them. Way to be old and at this bar.

Then, about the time our train tickets expired, the main act came out. We probably saw the Steve Poltz guy perform for 45 minutes to an hour before we had to leave to catch the last train of the night. He was pretty good. Pretty granola-y but, still good. My favorite song that he performed was 'Stay Away a Little Closer', but I can't find it online because it's new, but I also liked 'Silver Lining', and that can be found on U-Tube.

So all in all it was fun experience. It makes me feel old to know that most nights I am contemplating going to bed at 10:00 instead of getting ready to go out on a Saturday night but I guess doing those things once in a while is okay too.

3 comments:

A. Rae said...

"Down front!"

I had fun at the live music show. It's nice to do something that we don't normally do, provided we get there in one piece. Which we did. Thank goodness. ;)

Juniper Spangletoes said...

Thank goodness for Jesse. We never would have gotten there in one piece if it was up to Todd. "What? I have to quit hitting on this Tracey look-a-like to come get you guys at the train stop? Forget it!"

A. Rae said...

Bless their hearts.