Friday, February 29, 2008

Lots of Fun and some questions

So today, I went to a baby shower for a lady at work and I have to say that it was the most fun I have had since I worked for this school. You see, whenever I think about whether or not I like working at this school, the answer is that 'yes' I do like working there, but 'no' I don't like that I don't have any friends there.

You see, I am a social creature. It kills me that in the 6 years I have been doing this job, in the 4 different districts I have worked in, this is the only district that I haven't had fun working in, simply because there is no social aspect of the job. All of the other jobs I have ever worked, in my entire life, had a social aspect. In high school, you drove around with the people you worked with. In college, you partied with the people you worked with (how many after bar parties did I have when I lived next to Amanda?) Each of my school jobs, brought school friends, and therefore people to do stuff with. This district (or at least the building I am currently working in) hasn't yielded that. It makes me kind of sad.

That is why today was so much fun. It was the first time that I felt like part of the group. Maybe it was because it was a baby shower in a home, and I was vicariously living through the gal (Megan, pronounced Meegan). But it was fun.

Side note: I don't understand why it's not supposedly okay to have showers for subsequent children. When Lukin was born, we never had a baby shower for him outside of the one the ladies at work threw for me. (I was also ripped off in the bridal shower department. I had one that my future husband's cousin (along with other family members) threw for me. But none from my side of the family. AND I never got a bacchelorette (or however it's spelled) party. But in my whining to my husband about all the things I never got to have, he did remind me that there was a bach party planned for me, but then there was a blizzard and so it didn't happen. That made me feel better.

But my question, because I don't really understand, is why can't you have a shower for the 2nd or 3rd or 7th baby? I mean, I guess I understand that it may come across as begging for free gifts, but why is it okay if there is a gap between children? I don't get it.

All I am really trying to say is that if I have a second child someday, I want to be able to do the shower thing. Even if we call it something else, like a Welcome Baby party. I don't want to do it for gifts. I just want to invite everyone over and have some food and drink and baby games and joy over the new baby. I don't know why that wouldn't be okay.

4 comments:

A. Rae said...

Was there no bachelorette party because there were only two and a half months between getting engaged and actually GETTING married? I'm sorry that I never knew to throw you one, either.

I know this won't make you feel better, but my family doesn't ever celebrate my milestones, either. Aside from my high school graduation, there were no parties for when I graduated college. It barely registered as a blip on the radar. "Oh, Amanda got her diploma? It's about time. Pass the ketchup."

When I get confirmed on Easter Saturday, half my family will be on vacation skiing. I will consider myself lucky if they show up to my wedding. ;) (or, if I HAVE a wedding).

All in all, I know they love me. And you should know that we all love you, too. So we didn't go out and get shit-faced and stick dirty money down a naked man's g-string to celebrate your nupitals - we still were there when you DID get married. And we were all happy, proud, and it was an equally joyous occasion when Lukin made his debut in the world.

For that we are all blessed.

Juniper Spangletoes said...

I wouldn't have wanted to "get shit-faced and stick dirty money down a naked man's g-string." You know me: drive around, eat Taco Bell after midnight, that would have been swell enough, we just would have had to call it a bachelorette party.

P.S. My mom says that we can have a shower for any other children I have. She says that the rule about not getting to have a shower after the first kid is dumb. So yay!!

Anonymous said...

If you want we can make Stacie's bach. party a double and have it as you're post-married bach party! Just don't tell Stacie!!! hehe (I love you Stacie!)

A. Rae said...

I didn't mean LITERALLY get shit-faced and stick dirty money in a strange man's crack.

Although...

...nevermind.